Friday 4 June 2010

Too much, too soon


So I've made it to Kamloops in one monumental day's jump. 164km from end to end. By far the longest ride I've ever done, with the addition of a lot of kit and some substantial mountains to slow me up. I think I need to slow down and stop battering myself so hard.

Yesterday (3rd June) started off beautiful, going through a sunny gorge following the Thompson river. The terrain then flattened out somewhat and the clouds came in a bit, and the scenery became similar to the south moors of Dartmoor, rolling, grassy and empty. More importantly, very, very boring to ride through, especially with pretty low blood sugar and the first sprinkling of rain. Luckily the rain never came to anything and the day remained pretty favorable and warm.

I made it to Kamloops to stay with my hosts, and although I was 24 hours ahead of myself, they kindly took me in and fed me some crazy South American food, which was more than appreciated, just as the sun was going behind the mountains. I should have been able to enjoy the beautiful panorama, but because I felt the need to crack on and get to 100miles before the end of the day, I feel I missed taking it all in. I've learnt my lesson - that is, I need to take it a bit slower and enjoy myself. It's in my nature to keep pressing on when I feel strong, but when the distances are so vast, I need to be more realistic with my intentions. I still made it though =p

I almost forgot to mention that because there are fewer trees covering the ground, I've seen a greater abundance of wildlife. Yesterday I saw what I think was an Osprey, definitely a bald eagle, a whitetail deer and a coyote. I tried to get photos, but they all seem reluctant about being shot, even with a camera. How inconsiderate of them.



That's all for now, I'm heading 55km up Highway one to Chase, to stay with the Golden Ears community farm, potentially for two nights for a well earned rest.

Ben


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ben Matthews|Create your badge