Sunday 1 August 2010

Final day on my week of rest


So today concludes my week of rest. It would have been yesterday, and we would have been cycling to Rockland today, but Megan has been ill so we've postponed until she feels better. Hopefully tomorrow we'll make it somewhere past Rockland and try to catch up the lost day of riding before a week is up.

This week has been more static than my body is used to; we've watched films, eaten popcorn, and driven up to Quebec City. I'm sure it's been good for my legs, but the rest of me has gone into shock, it's not used to sitting for such long periods on anything other than a saddle. I'm looking forward to getting back into it for the final 2,000km into Halifax.

Friday saw me feeling very important with a meeting and photo shoot with the High Commissioner to publicise my trip. Also present were (and I hope I've remembered this correctly) the Defence Attaches for the Navy, Army and Air Force as well as a number of British officers present on exchange. After a couple of interviews, and when the photo shoot was over, the Commissioner had a play on my bike and we went into the bar so I could explain my trip and share a few anecdotes. Altogether a successful visit I think.

Because I've got so far ahead of schedule, and because I've got to be arriving in Halifax (which is relatively close) at exactly 1200h on the 23rd august, I've got rather a lot of spare time to fill. To fix this, I've decided to add a few kilometres to my plan, something in the region of 1,000 if google maps is correct. This means I'll be doing a loop onto the Cabot trail on Cape Breton island as well as taking the bridge onto Price Edward Island, before shooting into Halifax via the east shore of Nova Scotia on HWY 7. That's the plan at least, and I'll alter it should I fall drastically behind.

OK, so this is now the final push for the finishing line - I can do 2,000km faster than you think so time is running out for donations. I'll even make it easy for you and provide you with a LINK so you have no excuse not to. Consider that a guilt trip if you're reading this 'free'. If you're genuinely skint, then you'll at least have money on your phone to call the job centre - how about using some of it to send me a supportive text? 2,000km is still 2,000km no matter how good your legs are feeling (note: finish with your name, I only have a few numbers committed to memory well enough to transfer my numbers across phones).

So I suppose I should get packing - all of my kit is dispersed throughout Jeremy's house, so I need to locate what's mine and somehow get it all to fit back into my trailer.

Fortitudine Vincimus
Ben

2 comments:

  1. Stuart Matthews2 August 2010 at 02:53

    Well done 'big fella', glad the reception at the High Commission went so well. Good luck for the final push - we'll see you soon.

    Dad X

    Fortes fortuna adiuvat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben you are a much better blogger than my brother.
    I posted photos up on their blog http://biking4change.blogspot.com
    Cheers
    Kathy

    PS since I know you have others updating your blog they can feel free to use the photos here. Clicking on them will bring up the full versions to use.

    ReplyDelete

 
Ben Matthews|Create your badge